Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Baby, let me be your motivaton (note to self)



 
A lot of you were curious as to what keeps me motivated on a day to day basis. How do I stay committed? How have I not ‘fallen off’ in the past year and a half?
 
Here is my biggest and best secret: I am not motivated to eat healthy and work out every day. ‘Falling off’ has different degrees, and you have to get comfortable with the idea that there will be bumps in the road. Embrace the imperfect days because there will be SO many and you can’t let those deter you from your healthiest self.
 
I think, culturally, we have become accustomed to instant gratification, working hard when we feel like it. I choose to set myself to a higher standard. I always try to lift my gaze, I try to play the long game. Yes, I have immediate goals. But my biggest goal? Living a long, healthy and happy life. There is no quick fix there, I just show up every day. Each day brings a new set of circumstances and a new mood. I acknowledge that and I work anyway. It’s never really about motivation, it’s about discipline. It’s about being committed to yourself, to your health. And I also stopped telling myself that every workout had to be according to plan or every workout had to be amazing. They don’t have to leave you in a pool of sweat with sore muscles to count. If you just do your best every day, whatever that means for you. Your best will change day to day AND THAT’S OK. It’s normal, even.
 
I know this isn’t what you wanted to hear, that you just have to do it. That the hard work is achieved by working hard. If you can get yourself to a place where you show up every day and get in your work out then I promise the feeling of motivation will strike in the midst or even after you have finished. You will think, wow, I didn’t feel like doing that at all but I did it and now I feel awesome and now I know that I AM capable of getting it done even when I didn’t feel like it at the beginning. This is a lesson that will resonate throughout your entire life. We don’t always FEEL like going to work, but when you are the one showing up and getting things done, the right people will notice. You may not FEEL like being open and honest and vulnerable with your significant other, but you will feel connected and your love will flourish as a direct result. Be about that delayed gratification life with a little instant sprinkled in every now and again because #balance.
 
Inspiration can be found on every corner of the internet. You have to decide that you are willing to put in work, that you are willing to put action before emotion. Then, every single day, regardless of the circumstances, you will be ready to put your best foot forward.
 
 
Tips
  • Have definitive goals, write them down (don’t just have them in your head) and make both short and long term goals
  • Use a reward system if that works for you, yas honey bribe yourself, we all deserve to be treated for hard work
  • Stop thinking of it as a list of things you HAVE to do but as a list that you are CHOOSING to do and honestly, that we are privileged to.
  • Put action before emotion, don’t wait to feel like it
  • Find what works for you in an enjoyable way, make it FUN (don’t be miserable! If you hate running, don’t run. If you get bored easily, switch it up regularly)
  • Find your tribe*
 
 
 
 
 
*if you are reading this, it’s probably because you are part of my tribe. Thank you for supporting and uplifting me every day so that I can be my best.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment